Remove ticks as soon as possible. Tips on how to remove them and more...
What can you do yourself to relieve an acute cough?
Treatment without medication:
- Drink enough, but not much more than usual.
- Avoid unnecessary stress and hectic.
- Cough drops can relieve the cough, but not stop it.
- Refrain from smoking and avoid smoky rooms
The effectiveness of simple home remedies for acute coughs (e.g. ginger, honey, chicken soup) has not been scientifically proven, but can certainly lead to subjectively felt relief.
Treatment with medication:
As a rule, an acute cough resulting from a common cold or acute bronchitis heals without any medication. Important: This type of cough is caused by viruses. Antibiotics don't help here! These only work with bacterial infections.
When to seek medical advice?
Contact a family doctor in the following cases:
- You have chest pain.
- You have problems breathing.
- You spit out blood when you cough.
- You lose weight for no apparent reason.
- Your cough lasts longer than three weeks.
- Your cough is getting worse.
- You feel that the sides of your throat are swollen and painful.
- You have a weakened immune system (e.g. from chemotherapy or diabetes).
- Wash hands regularly and thoroughly
- Cough/sneeze in the crook of your arm and not into your hands
regelmäßig und gründlich Hände waschen