Sick? This way please!
Call 1450? Family doctor? Hospital outpatient clinic? Wait?
More on our info pages
- 1. I need help?
- You don't always need a doctor: Many minor complaints can be solved by one's own action or they disappear by themselves. Examples include colds, dizziness, headaches or skin redness after insect bites.
- On average, 90% of health problems can be solved by yourself without doctor.
- If you are unsure: The health advice call centre 1450 is available around the clock for free and will answer any questions you may have.
- 2. Health advice call centre 1450
... help with any questions or uncertainty
- Available around the clock
- Help and tips for self-help for minor ailments
- Orientation: To the family doctor, to the medical specialist, to the hospital?
- networked with the medical emergency service 141 and emergency call 144 (rescue)
- Specially trained nurses advise you competently and free of charge.
- More information: www.1450.at
- 3. Family doctor
…or primary care
- The family doctor is your first point of contact for
- acute diseases where medical treatment is necessary (e.g. for infections, skin rashes)
- Long-term health problems (e.g. as back pain, bronchitis)
- chronic diseases (e.g. diabetes)
Please contact your family doctor in his medical practice!
- Outside the opening times in the evening and on weekends, you can reach the medical emergency service at tel. 141.
- If you are not sure whether you need a doctor or not, ask the health advice call centre at tel. 1450 which is available around the clock.
- 4. Medical specialist
... in the medical practice or in the hospital outpatient department with appointment
- Your family doctor can assess very well if you need a medical specialist. If needed, he will refer you to the right place.
- Certain medical specialists can be visited without a doctor's referral: This is especially true for gynaecology (gynaecology and obstetrics), for paediatricians and ophthalmologists.
- Whether the medical specialist practice or the hospital outpatient department is the right place for you depends on the specific case. Your family doctor knows.
- For the hospital outpatient department, you always need a doctor's referral.
- 5. Inpatient care at the hospital
Fortunately, inpatient admission to the hospital is rarely necessary, e.g. in case of severe illness or surgery.
- 6. Caution! Emergency, accident
- Rescue can be reached at tel. 144. Dial the number only in case of accidents and emergencies!
- The emergency outpatient department at the hospital is available primarily for emergencies and accidents around the clock.
- Who is the emergency outpatient department for?
- The emergency outpatient department helps people who need urgent medical help.
- It cares for patients with acute, potentially life-threatening symptoms. Examples include acute chest pain, acute abdominal pain, acute headache or if the family doctor considers visiting an emergency outpatient department necessary.
- The emergency outpatient department is not intended for long-term or chronic complaints.
- Waiting time and prioritizing according to urgency (triage)
- Your waiting time in the hospital outpatient department depends on the urgency of your treatment. This is assessed by specially trained nurses. They are guided by international, medical standards.
- Thus, your turn does not depend on the time of your arrival! Medically more urgent or life-threatening cases take precedence!
- If your condition falls into the "green" or "blue" categories, you must expect longer waiting times if there is a lot of work in the outpatient department. We recommend that you see your family doctor with this classification.
- While you wait, others are being helped!
- Even an empty waiting room does not mean that we do not work! The areas where patients are medically treated or monitored cannot be seen from the waiting area. Also, the emergency entrance is not visible.
- Acute care and stabilization of seriously ill patients may be time-consuming. Also, examinations or consultations sometimes require more time.
Nobody likes to wait. Your waiting has important reasons!